Totally Fabulus

The rantings of an underpaid professional babysitter.....

Monday, 4 May 2009

RCIA outreach programme to Orang Asli Settlement - Belihoi

On the 1st of May...I joined Chin's RCIA outreach
programme to Kampung Belihoi near Mantin...
It felt like balik kampung...
Tessa joined us for the programme...
After breakfast at 10 am we drove out to the junction to Belihoi
and waited for the rest of the English RCIA group to come...
James came first so we followed him to the foot hill of
the village to park our cars...
Then we hiked up the hill into the village - it was a
5 mins hike...
We saw MIDIN...hahahaha..a rare thing here..
of course there is Midin here just that not in abundance
like in Sarawak.
We we greeted by the friendly orang asli and invited into
their Rumah Besar - a place of worship.
The head for the Christian Communityis called Langkap...
They look so much like the native Sarawakian...
so Tess and I fit in perfectly....
Hahaha...people might even think that we are orang asli...
The houses were built like those found in the Bidayuh
villages in Sarawak....yeap...pretty similar...
We had a brief praise and worship and then fellowship
with the orang asli...
Tess and I chatted with some of them...
apparently there are not many of them who go to school...
James goes there every Friday afternoon to give
free tuition but he said so far the response
was pretty luke warm...
most prolly because the children sleep in the afternoon...
Anyway...there were many youngsters but
they seem to be not going to school...
they look like schooling age anyway...teenagers...
Chin and I decide that if there is better response to the
tuition thingy, we will volunteer to give
them free tuition every Friday afternoon...
English and mathematics...
Anyway...there is 1 sarawakian staying with in Belihoi...
the funny thing is he is from my town...
of all the place to meet my town mate...
He works in Singapore street...
I think he loves it there because it reminds him of Sarawak so much..
The people, the village and also the friendliness...
It reminds me of the Orang Asli children in SMUJ...
I guess the same situation may happen to them...
Living far away from any schools so they
have to travel out to go to school...
In this case for those from Belihoi...SMK Mantin..
We left after the fellowship...at about 2pm..
Chin went back to Mantin and Tess and i went to town...
It was an eye opener though...
the trip...
We should be grateful for all the things that we have...
I should thank God everyday for all the things around me...
Bless them all...

No comments: